Cakes with ragi flour come out well. This fruit cake uses dry fruits and nuts that have been soaked overnight in orange juice. The cake is moist and delicious. Enjoy this gluten-free, vegan cake with the goodness of ragi, dates, raisins, oranges, jaggery, cashews and coconut.
Ragi flour – 1 and 3/4 cup
Sprouted Ragi flour – 1/4 cup (if sprouted ragi flour is not available, use ragi flour)
Jaggery powder – 1 cup or a little more according to your taste
Dry fruits (raisins, dates, apricots, tutti frutti) – 1 cup to 1 and 1/2 cup
Orange zest – 1/4 cup or less (depending on whether you like a mild or strong orange flavor)
Cashew pieces – 1/3 cup
Orange juice – 1 cup
Oil – 1/4 cup or less
Coconut milk – 1 cup
Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
Baking soda – 1 tsp
Apple cider vinegar – 2 tbsp
Cinnamon powder – 1/2 tsp
Clove powder – a pinch
Grated nutmeg – a pinch
Salt – a pinch
- Prepare one cup of fresh orange juice.
- Chop the dry fruits and cashews into small pieces. Soak chopped dry fruits, cashews and orange zest in the orange juice overnight. Refrigerate the mixture.
- Sieve the ragi flour(s), baking powder, salt, cinnamon, clove and nutmeg powders.
- To the flour mixture, add jaggery powder.
- Fold in the soaked dry fruits and nuts into the flour mixture.
- Extract 1 cup of coconut milk.
- Add apple cider vinegar and baking soda to the coconut milk. It will rise a little.
- Add the above wet ingredients to the flour and dry fruit mixture.
- Add the oil and fold gently till everything comes together.
- Pour the batter into a greased cake pan.
- Bake at 175 C for about an hour or till a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for a couple of hours or so before removing the cake. It is better to leave it even longer so the flavors can develop better.