This is an intensely orange, refreshing cake. And vegan too.
Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
Ragi flour – 1/2 cup
Jaggery powder or sugar – 3/4 cup
Baking soda – 1 tsp
Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
Fresh squeezed orange juice (with pulp, no problem) – 1 cup
Refined oil – 1/3 cup
2 tbsp grated orange peel/zest. Make sure to remove the bitter pith before chopping the orange peel into fine slices.
1. Grease a cake pan. Heat oven to 180C.
2. Stir together the flours, jaggery/sugar, baking soda and baking powder until well mixed.
3. Add the oil and orange zest.
4. Then pour in the orange juice.
5. Stir just enough to combine the ingredients without beating – don’t
overstir – and immediately pour into the prepared baking pan.
6. Bake for 40-45 minutes or till the cake tests done.
You can experiment using jowar and bajra flour as well.